Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dell Pasay badged site sold to Teleperformance

I was so shocked when I learned the news from 2 of my friends. I have heard of that rumor since last year, while I was still connected with the company. But, majority of us brushed the rumor aside, because it is impossible that an outsourced provider would buy a giant like Dell. But, the impossible just happened last Friday, when it was announced to the whole Dell community that Teleperformance is buying Dell Pasay to the tune of PHP200 million++. Paltry change compared to the annual earnings of Dell, which amounts to billions of dollars in revenue. Friday is always a good and bad day for Dell peeps, primarily because the pro: we get out paychecks every other Friday and the con: big, surprising announcements are usually done on Fridays. Alot has happened to Dell Pasay over the last 3 years, since it was established in 2006. I joined the company in January 2007, at that time it was such a big deal for me because I was offered the biggest paycheck I have ever received since I started working, and having the honor and privilege to work in one of the world's top companies. I met my now lifelong friends in Dell. I had the luxury of living just 5-10 minutes away from Mall of Asia (where Dell Pasay is). So many memories. I am happy to know that Dell QC (where most of my friends are now) is not included in the sale. I guess I'm lucky I'm no longer with the company when this happened, because for me, if I was still there, it's a big slap in the ass. I feel sorry for those who are still there, because this is like a shock and awe to the employees of Dell Pasay. The good thing is that, Teleperformance will still retain the employees of Dell Pasay, but was gracious enough to offer pay (half a month's basic salary for every year of tenure with the company) for the ones who wish to leave. This economic crisis that the world is experiencing definitely is a bitch. In hindsight, I feel blessed that I am no longer in Dell Pasay when this happened, but I will not forget the memories Dell Pasay gave me. So long, Dell Pasay, thanks for the memories.

2 comments:

Patch said...

How sad.. Poor Dell pasay agents
- Pradhan, Jaideep

Anonymous said...

Well look on the bright side guys…

They were going to close the Dell sites anyway. That means redundancy with 1 month pay. All employees lost. Then you go to other companies searching for jobs…and with their entrance tests and what not, you may actually start from the very bottom.

With Teleperformance, the largest call center in the world and the only big BPO that has zero debt, even extended their arm to transfer some key benefits.

TP has 88,000 employees and more, yet we only hear of “horror stories” from like 30 people or less. If I were a politician, I wish I had that type of approval rating. Let’s face it, people that complain are usually the minority.

Truth be told, TP with no debt, expanding all the time, didn’t need to help Pasay Dell…in my personal opinion. But they did.

If there’s anything to be angry or sad about, let’s blame the lies that was built around running a call center with high salaries and no cost control. In the end, you crash.