Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ninoy 25 years after his death; Madonna: Fabulous at 50

Yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of the assasination of former Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, Jr. It's been 25 years, but the real culprit/s remain to be unidentified to this day. I did not have any memory of Ninoy because I was not born during the Martial Law era, and I was only 10 months old when he was assasinated. But, he made a mark in my life because of how he was depicted in history books, and I am endlessly fascinated by his charm whenever I get to watch documentaries about his life. Maybe that's the reason why I love his daughter Kris to bits (eventhough not alot of people like her), it's because she has a father for a hero, and she had a very good father. Not alot of people can claim that they have a father for a hero, but she has one in Ninoy! Imagine your father's name being mentioned in the same breath as Jose Rizal, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and all those people who sacrificed their lives for their countrymen. One thing that struck me about Ninoy is his charisma with people, and his brain. I am so impressed by Ninoy's intelligence and the way he delivered his speeches in public. He is so enigmatic! One moment he's serious, another moment he's funny! I guess those are the traits that Kris inherited from her dad. To me, Ninoy was a rock star! I wish that he could have lived longer to serve the country, but I also think that during the time he was killed, he already served his purpose: to unite the country at the time of crisis. Because of his untimely death, Filipinos united to topple a dictatorship. He may be gone forever, but his spirit lives on. Mabuhay ka, Ninoy Aquino!

Whew! That was a serious way to start a blog entry. Not the typical me, eh? Hehehe. Anyway, my next topic is about no less than the Queen of Pop and The Queen of Reinvention, Madonna. She just turned 50 last August 16 and she's still on top of her game. She's still one of the world's top selling concert acts, and her current release Hard Candy is one of her most successful albums to date. What I really like about Madonna is that she continues to better herself, because she knows that there will always be someone younger, there will always be more talented singers who can take her place anytime. And with a different album comes a different image she portrays to the public. Madonna was a constant part of my soundtrack when I was growing up, but came to have an appreciation of her music when she came out with This Used To Be My Playground (from the A League Of Their Own soundtrack) & Take A Bow (from her Secret album). I officially became a fan when she effortlessly portrayed the late Argentinean First Lady Eva Peron in the movie version of the hit Broadway musical Evita, and from then on I always get excited everytime she comes out with a new album. What else is next for Madonna? Since it has been a habit of hers to surprise her fans, I will just wait and see. For now, she will be releasing a Greatest Hits CD in fulfillment of her contractual obligations with Warner Music (and the last CD in her contract), before she moves on to her multi-million dollar deal with Live Nation. I just wish her the best in everything she does (and hopes that Manila is part of her upcoming Sticky & Sweet tour hehehe). She is truly an artist's artist. A true Queen. An Icon. Ageless. Supreme. A Diva. That's Madonna.

No comments: